A Little Steampunk for the Holidays

Macy’s isn’t the only one who can spread a little steampunk holiday cheer.  After becoming a fan of Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series, I knew I wanted to create a steampunk themed template for PowerPoint 2010. The opportunity (and challenge) of animating a bunch of Victorian-era whirly gigs was just too much to resist. And if Macy’s can share a steampunk theme for the holiday, so can I.

I’ve created a sample presentation using the template (shown below.)  Click on the image and then choose the menu option to Open in PowerPoint since the web apps cannot support video. You can download the template to use for yourself and create your own steampunk themed presentations. After the slide show opens, click File, Download a Copy.

Have a hankering to create your own steampunk animation to share for the holidays?  Download the template, add your layout and send me a link to the file. I’ll add it to the template and credit you on the layout.

SteamPunk

About these ads

, , , , ,

1. #1 by Echo on December 17, 2011 - 2:13 pm

This is very cool, Glenna. Thanks for sharing it!

2. #2 by Steve Hards on December 17, 2011 - 2:22 pm

Hey, Glenna, that’s a beautiful presentation! Thanks!

3. #3 by Bruce Stewart on December 17, 2011 - 9:50 pm

Thanks to Steve Hards for sending this resource.

4. #4 by Chantal Bosse on December 19, 2011 - 11:56 am

Thanks Glenna! :-)

5. #5 by Craig Hadden - Remote Possibilities on December 20, 2011 - 1:25 am

Wow! That’s amazing. Thanks for making the PPTX file available.

2 questions:
    - How did you make the “rope” effect, as having ungrouped the object on the master slide, it says it has No Fill.
    - About how long would you say this took you to create?

• #6 by Glenna Shaw on December 20, 2011 - 6:28 pm

The rope is just a diagonal pattern fill with a 3D bevel applied. I think pattern fills are missing in PPT 2007 and they put them back in PPT 2010. It only took me about 4-5 hours total time to put it together. I was just telling a friend that it wsa surprisingly easy once I got started. Now I’m working on adding a Victorian wallpaper as an optional background.

6. #7 by Geetesh Bajaj on December 20, 2011 - 6:49 am

Glenna, this is so awesome — amazing creativity!

1. Sample Theme – Steampunkish | Profgarrett